Tofu makes the best vegan taco meat! These tofu tacos are loaded with spices and flavor, made with tender crumbled tofu and your favorite taco toppings. The best part: they’re a cinch to make!
- Heat up some oil in a skillet, then add diced onion. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or so, until it begins to soften up.
- Add minced garlic and spices to the skillet. Sauté them with the onion for just about a minute, making sure to stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Crumble your tofu into the skillet. You can do this as soon as it’s thawed, and there’s no need to press it for this recipe. Stir everything up well and cook the tofu with the spices for about 2 minutes, until any excess liquid cooks off and the tofu begins to brown in spots.
- Add diced bell pepper and cook it with your tofu and spices for a couple minutes. You just want it to begin softening up
- Add your sauces: tomato sauce, soy sauce, and hot sauce. Stir everything up and bring it to a simmer and let it cook for a couple of minutes, until the sauce is hot and thick!
- Take the skillet off of the burner and season your tofu taco filling with some salt. You can also add more hot sauce if you’d like. Give it a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- Stuff the filling into warm tortillas and dig in!
- Leftover tofu taco filling will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for about 3 days, or in the freezer for about 3 months.