This raw salad gets its spunk from a garlicky-lemon basil vinaigrette that lightly marinates the thin squash peels and freshly shucked corn kernels.
- 1 small or medium zucchini
- 1 small or medium yellow squash
- 1 ear of corn shucked and cleaned, with the kernels cut off the cob
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette recipe below
- Red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few leaves of fresh torn basil
- *optional: A few tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
For the Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salad: With a wide vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini and squash lengthwise into long ribbons (discarding the middle — you’ll know when you get to it, because the squash will get too thin and watery.) Place the ribbons in a good sized bowl or plate, alternating so you can see equal amounts of green and yellow. Add the corn kernels and about 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette. Toss. Add salt, freshly ground pepper and chili flakes to taste. Add the goat cheese and garnish with fresh torn basil.
- Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette: Add all of the ingredients to a small jar with a lid and shake well. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: You’ll have vinaigrette left over to use on other salads, or make this one again!