Breakfast is solved, with a little meal prepping. Enjoy this recipe on-the-go; it’s well balanced nutrient-wise and sneaks plenty of vegetables into your morning. To really pack a nutritious punch, grab a small piece of fruit on your way out the door.
- 1 cup (170g) quinoa
- 2 cups (180g) broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) scallion, chopped
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- In a 1-quart pot, bring 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water to a boil. Add quinoa and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes. When the grain is tender and all the water is absorbed, toss the broccoli and scallions in the pot with the hot quinoa and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes, then uncover and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, eggs, Parmesan and basil. Stir in the cooked quinoa mixture. Mix well, then use a 1/3 cup measure to portion the quinoa mixture into the muffin cups. Tap the top with the back of a spoon to flatten.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the tops feel firm when pressed with a fingertip. Cool on a rack and serve warm, or cool completely, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to four days.