The traditional Pad Thai that so many of you love, made in a healthy paleo friendly way! With different variations and additional ingredients we made a perfect paleo dish.
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 green onions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (May use broccoli if preferred)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 lb large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Optional: chopped toasted cashews
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or cashew butter, or a blend of both)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons coconut crystals*
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
- Use a spiralizeror mandolin to create noodles from the carrot and zucchini. Place them in a large mixing bowl lined with a clean dry towel and sprinkle them with sea salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients. The sauce will be thick, but will thin out after mixed with vegetables.
- In a sauté pan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, cauliflower, the white parts of the green onion, and bean sprouts. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add the carrot and zucchini noodles to pan. Stir and cook until the noodles have softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp is no longer pink.
- Pour sauce over mixture and toss until all combined. Garnish with cilantro, the green parts of green onion, and the toasted cashews. Season with salt and pepper to taste.