Sharing a healthier take on the classic Twix bar with my Homemade Vegan Twix Bars. These Twix bars are easy to make, have no processed sugars, and are even gluten-free! Layered with dark chocolate, toasted coconut “shortbread”, maple syrup-based “caramel”, additional dark chocolate, and finished with flaky sea salt. Every last bite is sweet, nutty, hinted with caramel-like flavors, extra chocolatey, and so DELICIOUS.
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt, plus more for topping
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup canned full fat coconut milk, using only the coconut cream, no water
- 2 tablespoons almond or cashew butter
- 12 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- To make the coconut layer. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded coconut, almond flour, coconut oil, honey, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and salt until combined. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Transfer to the oven and bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden and toasted. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a medium pot, combine the maple syrup and coconut cream and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 12-15 minutes or until thickened to a caramel like sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond butter and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Let the mix cool slightly, then pour over the coconut base layer. Transfer to the freezer, freeze 30 minutes, until firm.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave until melted and smooth. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Cut bars into 16 bars. Cover/dip each bar in chocolate, return to the freezer to let the chocolate set up, about 10 minutes. Keep stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.