Perfect for breakfast or in your lunch box, these grain-free and gluten-free broccoli and cauliflower fritters take on a new life with the addition of salty halloumi cheese. This recipe is great for those following a low-carb or gluten-free diet and is also vegetarian-friendly.
Cauliflower and broccoli are great sources of fibre and vitamins, while eggs and cheese will add a decent dose of protein. I am using halloumi cheese, which is traditionally made from sheep’s and goat’s milk; however, many mainstream manufacturers now also add cow’s milk. Check the label, if you would prefer to avoid cow’s milk dairy altogether. You can certainly make these without cheese, as the eggs and coconut flour should still hold the shape of the fritters.
For the cauliflower fritters
- 1.5 cup finely diced cauliflower
- 1 cup finely diced broccoli
- 1/2 cup grated halloumi cheese
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (or almond meal)
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- Coconut oil or ghee for cooking (ghee=clarified butter)
For the coriander aioli
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (can also be completely omitted)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely grated or diced
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the fritters ingredients. If not using any halloumi cheese, add a more generous pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil. Using your hands, shape the mixture into small patties and add to the hot pan, one by one. Bring the heat down to medium and fry for 4 minutes on each or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, whisk together the aioli ingredients and serve in a side ramekin.
- Halloumi cheese can be replaced with grated Cheddar or crumbled feta cheese.