These Black Bean Burgers are savory, filling and vegetarian. The perfect substitute for a regular beef patty and delicious and healthy to boot!
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 1-2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce optional
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
Place onion, chipotle, and garlic into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add in black beans and pulse until the black beans are partially chopped, leaving some whole or partial beans. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Stir in the bread crumbs, cumin, salt, pepper and eggs until well combined.
Divide up the mixture to form 8 patties.
When ready to cook choose one of the following options:
Skillet: Heat a lightly oiled skillet to medium high heat. Cook for 5 minutes on each side.
Baked: Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes each side.
Grilled: Cook on an outdoor grill for 5 minutes each side.
Serve hot on a bun with desired toppings.
- to make vegan: replace the eggs called for in this recipe. You can make an egg substitute using flax seed and water which is a popular and effective option. To replace 1 egg, simply whisk together 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons of warm water. Let it sit until it becomes gel-like and then you can use it in the recipe. Since this recipe calls for 2 eggs, you’ll need2 tablespoons of ground flax seed and 6 tablespoons of water.