Mixed greens with wild rice tossed in a simple lemon honey vinaigrette, topped with roasted sweet potato, pomegranate arils, toasted almonds, and goat or feta cheese. This pomegranate and wild rice salad is simple to make and bursting with fresh & delicious Fall flavors.
- 2-3 medium (~2 and 1/2 cups) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly cracked pepper and salt
- 1 package (4.3 ounces) Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix
- 1 cup Pomegranate Fresh Arils
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 8-10 ounces mixed greens lettuce I use a 50/50 blend spinach & spring mix leaves
- 2-4 ounces Crumbled goat cheese or feta (add to preference)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large lemon (2 tablespoons juice, 1/4 teaspoon zest)
- 3/4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly cracked pepper and salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and chop the sweet potato into small chunks. Toss the potato chunks in olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, and then flip once more and bake for 10 more minutes or until the potato chunks are tender and roasted through. Watch these carefully so you don’t overcook the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the wild rice either according to the package directions if you are using a package mix OR according to the directions in the recipe included in the blog post (for a homemade version of seasoned wild rice). If you make the homemade wild rice, start with making that before roasting the sweet potato so they will be done around the same time.
- Combine the roasted sweet potato with the cooked wild rice in a large bowl and place in the fridge while prepping the dressing.
- For the dressing combine all of the ingredients in a mason jar of small bowl. Place the lid on the mason jar and shake (or whisk in the bowl) until combined. Taste and adjust (additional salt/pepper/honey)
- Add to the cooled potato + wild rice mixture. Toss with the lettuce and add the pomegranate arils plus almonds (you can toast almonds if desired by placing them in a dry skillet over medium heat and stirring until lightly fragrant watching carefully to not burn them.)
- Toss everything with the dressing and add in some feta or crumbled goat cheese to personal preference. Increase the amounts of pomegranate arils or almonds if desired.
- Once dressed enjoy the salad the same day. If not finishing the salad in one day, store the salad separately from the dressing, almonds, and cheese.