These roll-ups are the perfect breakfast or Easter brunch dish. Healthy, filling, and coated in a velvety Parm sauce. Pair it with a grapefruit mimosa, and you’ve got a serious five-star brunch.
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, stalks trimmed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- 8 slices ham
- 2 tbsp. flour of choice
- 1 1/3 c. whole milk
- 2/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400º. On a medium baking sheet, toss asparagus with oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast until tender, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make eggs: Crack eggs into a large bowl and whisk until frothy. In a medium nonstick pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into the pan. Let set slightly then reduce heat to medium-low. Drag the eggs with a spatula or wooden spoon to create curds. When the eggs are almost cooked to your liking, season with salt and pepper. Fold in chives and remove from heat.
- Make ham roll-ups: Lay ham flat on a clean surface and fill with a couple tablespoons scrambled eggs and 2 to 3 asparagus spears. Roll tightly and place seam side down in a medium baking dish. Repeat this process until all eggs and asparagus are used. Switch oven to broil.
- Make cheese sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add flour and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has darkened slightly in color and no raw flour remains, 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Cook until mixture has thickened slightly, 1 minute more. Turn off heat and stir in Parmesan until melted. Season to taste with salt and nutmeg, if using.
- Pour cheese sauce over ham roll-ups. Broil until ham is slightly crisp and cheese sauce is slightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.