This delicious Low Carb Chicken Pesto Cast Iron Meatza is a really simple recipe that comes together in no time. It brings all the pizza vibes without all the grains and heaviness that some of us can experience as a result of traditional pizza. You can use the base crust recipe for other pizza variations and get creative with your toppings! This recipe is low-carb and keto-friendly and it’s great for those who eat gluten-free or grain-free and easily adaptable to be dairy-free or nut-free.
- 1 lb ground organic ground chicken (or turkey)*
- ½ pound organic ground chicken Italian sausage (turkey or pork)*
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ – 1 cup pesto (see recipe below)
- 4oz fresh mozzarella balls bocconcini or ciliegine, drained and halved (I used Buffalo milk)* see notes for dairy-free options
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Be sure your 12-inch cast iron skillet is well-seasoned or lightly greased.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the organic chicken and Italian sausage, 1 egg, Italian seasoning blend, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper.
- Mix together until very well. combined. Press the mixture into your seasoned cast iron skillet. Go to the edge and create a little lip on the crust. Make sure it is even.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The crust will shrink a bit.
- Remove the pan and carefully pour off any grease. Blot with a paper towel if you’d like.
- Top the crust with pesto, spread evenly. Top with fresh mozzarella or other cheese (or cheese alternative)
- Bake another 15-20 minutes. Place under the broiler for a minute or two to brown up, if you prefer.
- Let cool 5 minutes. Cut into slices and enjoy.
- I recommend dark meat ground chicken, if possible.
- For the sausage can use ground chicken sausage, ground turkey or if you prefer ground pork sausage (it will be a bit fattier so likely more fat to drain off, but the taste is still amazing). If you
- Prefer not to use sausage at all, you an also use straight up ground pork or additional ground chicken.
- You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken.
- For dairy-free: leave out the cheese in the pesto and replace with nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor or you can simply leave it out. In place of the fresh mozzarella, opt for a dairy-free cheese that you like, add a dollop of cashew cream or again, simply leave off.